Monday, January 18, 2010

Zimmermann Babies

We flew to England on Christmas night. Our first family trip there for 2 and a half years. Thank you generous in-laws :0)

We stayed through New Year and my birthday and had a jolly good time with our friends and family. My boys all flew back a couple days before me and narrowly missed 'the snow'. Which at the time, just looked like this.....Pretty, but can only be described as a smattering at best. I managed to get to London and back for some shopping/visiting that day (Tuesday) with no travel interruptions at all.

That evening though, the snow started in earnest (well, for England that is, anyway). And by next morning it was looking more like this.....
and this.......
and this......
and it snowed for the rest of the day, closing airports and disrupting trains, etc.

I had planned on visiting some old friends in SW London, but instead, I stayed home and watched the news and the interwebs all day, wondering if I was going to be able to fly home the next day.

I did get to sled down a couple of wee hills that day....
and help Harry build a snowman....
So all was not lost :0)

The next day, Thursday, I trudged across London, no small feat, let me tell you. Those Underground stations are killers with a heavy suitcase, no lifts and a million stairs each. I managed to get to Gatwick airport with no problems though (other than a sore shoulder from bouncing my suitcase up and down those stairs!). The flight was cancelled of course, but at least I'd made it there to find that out!!!
I got straight on the train back to London and called the airline to re-arrange another flight. Marco-the-booking-agent is my new best friend. He booked me on the next flight out of Heathrow and upgraded the trans-atlantic leg to business class. Which looks a bit like this.......
Yes, peeps, my outstretched legs are still about 2 feet from the seat in front of me!!!
Anyway, I do have knitting content involved in this story, aswell as gratuitous snow footage. The friends I couldn't see because of the snow Wednesday, I got to see Thursday and stayed the night with them. Mid-last-year, they had twins. And what does the knitter do when she knows she'll be visiting babies? Why she knits for them, of course :0)
So I present to you, the long awaited, Zimmermann babies, clad in the Baby Surprise Jacket and February Baby Sweater patterns.......
Photo provided by lovely mum, Charlotte. Aren't they gorgeous? The babies AND the sweaters, I mean ;0)
Made with Dream in Color Classy, color Midnight Derby. Matchy, and yet not.
Happy New Year to everyone :0)

4 comments:

IrishGirlieKnits said...

Oh my!! I love it all!! yay!! Thanks for the blogpost dear Disco!

Where to start...oh the adorable babies in their sweaters (with yarn from my destash I think...even better!). So cute! And so thoughtful of you!

Phew..thank goodness business class made the snow drama worth it. The snow and snowman are perfect though. SO glad to hear you had an awesome holiday and birthday!! Happy New Year~

turtlegirl76 said...

2 full feet of space in front of you? Wow! That's so awesome! The babies are simply adorable. The sweaters look fantastic on them too.

Bezzie said...

Double the snow, double the legroom and double the cuteness!

Zonda said...

Whew, so you had to go to England to get snow? hehe... Glad it was a good trip, although delayed a bit. Cute, cute, sweaters! Yay for upgrades too!