Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Birthday Meme

I got tagged with my first meme by Carrie. Go to Wikipedia, type in your birth month and day. Choose 3 events, 2 births and 1 holiday. My birthday is one of the most depressing days of the year. Apart from the getting older side of things, everyone's already partied out, so there's not much festive cheer around. I mean, have YOU ever been out on Jan 2nd? Here goes anyway......

3 Events
1870 The construction of the Brooklyn Bridge starts. I am always fascinated with history channel type documentaries on building bridges, or any sort of construction for that matter. The last one I saw was about the Golden Gate bridge. The people who engineer these projects have such strength, vision and determination.
1974 - Richard Nixon signs a bill lowering the maximum US speed limit to 55 MPH in order to conserve gasoline during an OPEC embargo. I first visited the USA in, from memory, 1995 and remember the limit still being 55. Seems like a leisurely pace of life - maybe we should go back to that.
1979 - Sid Vicious goes on trial for the murder of Nancy Spungen. It is pretty much impossible to find anything nice going on on Jan 2nd. Unless you live in Scotland - see holiday below :-)

2 Births
1642 Mehmed IV, Ottoman Sultan -Turkey is one of my favourite countries. I travelled there many times in my 20's. The Istanbul skyline rivals Manhattan's beauty in my eyes. And the Turkish people are very warm and welcoming, despite having frightening moustaches.
1973 Lucy Davis, British Actress - Famed as Dawn in the UK version of The Office. Love her. And her Dad. She was married in St Pauls Cathedral, same as Princess Di.

1 Holiday
Second day of the Hogmanay Bank Holiday, Scotland. Yes, the Scots know how to do it. I have spent a couple of Hogmanay's in that land (hic).

1 comment:

IrishGirlieKnits said...

Gee, I tagged you with a not-so-fun meme Disco :( Oops. But you know, you could start a knit blog called January Two. Just teasing...Disco is much better :)

But look on the bright side, Lucy Davis has the same birthday as you! I like her from Studio 60 (got cancelled though).

Oh, and sometimes people are partying on January 2...lots of the College Football Bowl games take place that week...so if you lived in our house and Notre Dame was on...it'd be a fun party :) No matter, I'd party for your b-day anyways!