Saturday, April 28, 2012

On Wreaths and Things....

A few weeks ago, I made this awesome wreath in art class.  When DH heard what the class was, he said, just make it colourful.  So I went with the rainbow.
The fabrics are all from A Verb for Keeping Warm's fabric club, collected over the past year, and the buttons were raided from the teacher's vintage button box.  I was spoilt for choice.
My favourite is the little wooden button in the middle of the red mushroom fabric.  It's set inside a lovely textured blue button.

---------------------------------------------------

Update on the BeeKeeper's Quilt.  I've made 49 flowers, that's 343 hexes.  Phew!  And this is how it's covering my bed so far.  Quite a way to go before I even hit the halfway mark.  The summer is coming up though, so plenty of time for knitting small things :0)


I'm still playing with the layout and here's the latest variation taking into account all the suggestions I've had.  Diagonal strips of alternating yellow and grey.  The Grey and yellow strips in the centre are arranged with 3 different alternating yarns (can you tell?).
Each full skein of yarn is making 5 'flowers'.  I'm toying with ordering more of some of these yarns, so that I can do full strips with only one colour.  Each of these longest strips takes 15 flowers, possibly 16 once they're sewn together.  I'll need about 5 of the longest strips.  What do you think of colour blocking the flowers like that?

 ----------------------------

Lastly, I wanted to show you my favourite piece of art from the Grand Rapids Art Museum.  Each of the squares is a white tile with a grid penciled on it.  Inside each of the grid squares is a dot of paint.  Some of the tiles have large dots, some small.
I love the simplicity of this piece and yet, when you take the time to look closer, it is actually very complex.

Happy weekend y'all.
Disco xoxo

2 comments:

Kaye said...

that wreath is awesome! i recognize some of the fabrics as being in my own stash!
and your dedication to the puffs is amazing!! love it sofar!

pdxknitterati/MicheleLB said...

I haven't yet succumbed to the lure of the puffs, but I love that you're arranging them in flowers. It reminds me of old tile floors, so sweet.