Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Random goodness....

So many good things to report on.....

1. The SNOW!  We are LOVING our Michigan adventure, especially since the snow arrived.  Oh joy! It has been with us for a constant 2 weeks now.  The boys have not missed an opportunity to be in it.  In the garden....

or on the lake.  Yes, the FROZEN lake. My mind is blown!

Even the hubs and I have enjoyed it.

2. Sledding.  I am having so much fun sledding, I'm sorely tempted to do it on my own, while the boys are at school.  I'm not kidding.  It's also a great opportunity to practice hill running - bonus!

3. The boys changed their minds on the chess team and it was all go on Saturday when we attended their first tournament at MSU in Lansing.  They both did great - Teddy at winning and Matthew at losing with grace.  I was proud of them both.  Exciting times.....

4. Report cards were sent home on Friday.  Here are some of the comments:
Teddy: avid and outstanding reader; outstanding math student; extremely impressed with him; hard worker; consistently contributes; strong leader; engaged; willing to share; cheerful and positive attitude; organized, independent and very responsible; adventurous; energetic.
Matthew: far surpassed reading expectations for 2nd grade; produces well thought-out, creative, detailed stories; a great friend; happy, helpful and hard-working; fun-loving, positive attitude; good listener, respectful and kind; his zest for learning is invigorating; good attention to detail.
Could a Momma ask for more?  So proud of my boys :0)

 5. Poor man's Mocha.  Who needs Starbucks?  I microwave a mug of milk and add a spoonful each of Maxwell House and Swiss Miss.  I know, I know, I'm a total coffee Philistine, but I love this after our snowy outings :0)

6. Tracking the positivity.  A friend gave me a 5 year journal for my birthday.  I started keeping a gratitude journal in it.  So far so good - it's uplifting to go back and see how much good there is in each day.

7. Book Club with Teddy tonight.  Our local library has a book club for 4th/5th graders and their parents.  We read "Willow Run" which is set in Michigan during WWII.  It was a sweet little book and a gentle introduction to that period of history.

8.  Watching the squirrels in the garden.  I put out old fruit for them.  They are so funny, leaping around the snow, trying to find it.  One time, on the way home from school, we saw a squirrel eating a cup of apple sauce in a tree.  When we first moved into this house, I thought we had the old "Squirrel Gables" problem.  Til I realised the part I could hear them running around on is a flat roof.  Phew!

9. We're getting a new Bridget Jones book!  I might die with the anticipation.

Knitting goodness to come.....
disco xo

3 comments:

Kaye said...

Am I horrified or flattered that "Squirrel Gables" appears to be catching on as a term? Ha ha!

I'm quite jealous of your snow! I miss it so much! NJ at least has it, but I like having it around consistently!

And WTG to your boys at the chess tournament!

IrishGirlieKnits said...

Such a post full of goodness!! Bridget Jones!! Yes!! And yes I may have just ordered that Jane Austen journal for myself :)

I bet you are loving the snow. And I am so so proud of the boys...report cards, chess club!! My proud 'mama' moment this week was Lil' Snowboarder's A+ on her mission project!!

Here's to lots more goodness this week!

Cupcakefaerie said...

It's great that you and your family are enjoying your new home and loving the snow.

I'm still not sure about the seam on the Traveling sweater,, but I can't think of a better solution. And you're right, it's an easy way to tell which side is up :)

Thanks for the heads up on Bridget Jones. Love those books.