Thursday, September 11, 2008

September 11th

About a million years ago, when I was young, free and single, I used to travel regularly from my job in London, to New York City, on business. I loved the city so much that I would also go for holidays.

On my first trip there, I went to the observation deck at the World Trade Center. It was so freaking awesome. I have three views of the buildings in my mind. The first: I was so proud of myself, because I sat right by the window and looked straight down. Second: I also stood right next to one of the buildings at the bottom and looked straight up - unbelievable how tall those towers were. And third: the massive chandeliers in the lobbies. Beautiful.

I visited with a friend over New Year 97/98 and we had a blast. Our last night there was my birthday and we went out to celebrate. We met a group of guys (as you do) and girls who worked down-town as bond traders. They brought cupcakes into the bar we were in and sang Happy Birthday to me - that was my best birthday ever ('cause my birth date is just about as bad as Christmas Day) :0) So, I joked around with this one guy that he might work at the bond traders, but he was probably the janitor!!!

Long story short, we kept in touch and used to go out whenever I was in the City. He was just about the most fun person I've ever known.

So, that bond trader worked at Cantor Fitzgerald, and I couldn't believe my eyes when I walked into the gym for a lunchtime training session on Sept 11th 2001 and every screen in the place was showing the World Trade Center ablaze.

Not long after that day, I met my husband. He also knew a Cantor employee. The brother of one of his best friends at college. He had two small sons who probably won't remember the precious few years he was in their lives. A year or so later I met their mom and dad. She still looked like a broken woman.

Today is a special day in our family.

God bless everyone who passed on that day, and their families and friends who still grieve them.

2 comments:

IrishGirlieKnits said...

It still breaks my heart. God bless all those families today. Big hugs Disco.

Zonda said...

((hugs)) Ditto what Carrie said!