Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Weekend fun

Our Friday mail was awesome. We received this gift from one of my nieces in England.  Her whole school drew self-portraits and had them printed on tea-towels.  The boys and I spent quite some time (maybe too much), looking at each portrait.  Some of them are hilarious and lots of them are quite artistic.  What a great school fundraiser.
Cassie's tea-towel

Saturday afternoon saw us in downtown Grand Rapids.  We enjoyed an hour at the Public Museum.  One of my favourite museums ever.  It's not huge, but they have a very interesting, eclectic collection.  Each time we visit, something new catches my eye.  We had watched the movie Hugo a couple of nights before and loved seeing one of George Melies' props on display.  If you haven't seen that movie, DO, it is beautiful and touching.

We walked across the river to the Art Museum where there was a snow-boarding demonstration going on.  We'd passed it earlier, when they were wheel-barrowing in the snow.  As you can see, there wasn't much left on the ground after the Christmas 'dump'.  Probably not what they were expecting in Michigan in January!
Snowboarding, but not much further than you see in the photo.
In the evening we tried a new-to-us restaurant, The Green Well, which serves locally sourced, fresh food.  I had an amazing risotto and mushroom stuffed tomato, while the guys shared a chicken burrito and a gourmet Mac and Cheese they declared to be the BEST EVER!  My beer, on the right, was brewed right across the street at Brewery Vivant.  Delicious :0)

Mmm, beer!
After dinner, it was home to play our new favourite game, Qwirkle!  Have you played it yet?  It's kind of like Uno with dominoes.  And no extra cards.
Wow, I look all of my 29 years, AND some.
Sunday night, I made the Minestrone Soup that Irishgirlieknits has blogged about a couple of times.  And now I know why she keeps blogging it.  It was SO worth the time in the kitchen.  Everyone loved it and I join the fan club.  The boys even want me to put more spinach in it next time.  Find the recipe here.

Well, I hope y'all had a great weekend and are savouring your Tuesday.
Disco xoxo

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the tea-towel fund raising idea. My nephew's school do T-shirt's each year for every class. He has five now, each a little larger than the last, and just loves seeing 'his' drawing in print. :)